|1991 VW Golf Mk2 with Crash Damage|
Car: 1991 VW Golf Mk2 1.8 Driver
This is the damage to the 1991 J Reg Black VW Golf Mk2 1.8 Driver after a small front bump!
The headlight was replaced with one from the local scrapyard for £10 & the bumper was tied up with ropes, so it could still be driven temporary until parts needed to fix it were sourced!
Once we got all the bits we required, we stripped down the front of the car. Although the steering/tracking had not been affected, the very front of the chassis forward of the drivers wheel to the tow point had been bent downwards, so we jacked the car up at the towing eye to rectify this!
The drivers' side front wing was repaired using some paint and fillers we had in the garage!
We bought a replacement front bumper off ebay for a fiver! We only used the internal metal part of it though! Choosing to re-use the old black outer plastic bit off this car, which although it looked bad, popped straight back into shape, when it was first removed from the car!
The front grill was bought on ebay for £10! The new (to us!) front grill had been painted in gloss black, and came with the spot lights (so now we have some spares!) and a GTi badge, the VW badge was used from the old grill. The red stripe was painted on using Humbrol enamel paint (which we had in the garage having red striped the previous front grill!).
The bonnet was reshaped using body weight to remove the unwanted curvature! and the bonnet catch was then realigned! The indicators were cleaned up as they needed to be anyway!
The paint will just require a bit of buffing up in a few weeks time. Other than that we think it looks good. & not bad for less than £50 all in!
1991 VW Golf Mk2 with Crash Damage!
A replacement headlight was fitted, and the bumper was been tied up, so that the car could still be used for a few days while the necessary parts were found!
On the Drivers side, the front wing was dented in and would require bodywork repairs.
The passenger wing was fine. Thankfully! (We hate bodywork!)
To do this right and get everything straightened back up, we had to remove a few bits!
The passenger wing was knocked back into shape and all rust removed!
Car body filler was applied.
The filler was smoothed down as required.
More filler was applied and this was then smoothed down each time until we were happy we had the desired finish.
The area was masked up and painted in primer.
After a little smoothing, we were now pleased with the result and felt the it was now ready for painting.
The area was masked a little wider this time so that all the primer would be covered by black paint.
With rain and darkness loming, the black paint would have to wait to the next morning.
Genuine VW paint was used as this gives the best colour match!
We never use aftermarket/car shop paints unless we have no other choice, as generally they are always more visible differences between the new paint and the cars original colour when they are used!
We were using a hairdryer to help warm the panel, prior to, and after painting!
With the newspapers removed you can see the overspray around the area that has been painted. The paint requires a few weeks to cure/harden properly at this point.
The car is now being reassembled using the inner metal part from a bumper bought on ebay.
A new (to us) front grill, also had to be purchased to replace the broken front grill.
The old painted VW badge we reused as this grill had it's one missing. ...but it did come with a nice looking GTI badge instead!
The red stripe was once again painted on using a steady hand and red Hunbrol enamel paint.
We were able to use a large plank of wood and our body weight to straighten the bonnet.
It seems to be sitting much better again.
The outer bumper complete with original unbroken number plate and number plate holder was all fine to re-fit!
The front indicators received a much needed inside clean.
The lower grill and towing cover were still also good enough to re-fit, just in time too, as it was now turning dark once more.
A few weeks later and it was time to buff the paint.
We buffed it up, with a pleasing final result.
We are glad we used the genuine VW paint.