|Rover 800 820 825 827 Door Trim/Seal (Passenger Side).|
Car: 1999 Rover 800 820 Auto Fastback
Colour: Charcoal Grey / Black
For several years we had always wanted a new rubber seal for the trim on the drivers door on this Rover 800 Fastback. The seals tend to split or get damaged over time.
By the time we eventually found a car with a decent seal still on it in the scrap yards (rather than spending the 60 odd quid to buy each new trim & seal), we also needed a passenger side one too! Unfortunately the car in the scrap yard only had one decent seal on it.
The one we had found and purchased was a passenger side one, but because the drivers side one was worse on our car, we fitted the seal to the drivers door. Luckily six months later we came across another car that just had 1 decent seal in the scrap yards, yet again it was a passenger side, and as before it appeared to be in perfect condition.
We were lucky to find the seal still on the car in the scrapyard, because although the car looked like it had only been in the scrapyard for a few days, it was obvious somebody else wanted the same seal. Fortunately for us their attempts to wrench the metal trim off the car had failed and the trim was still attached to the car, with the rubber seal still fully intact.
Again on paying for the metal trim & rubber seal, we only paid £2 for it, as the trim itself was obviously in such a poor state! Fitting it was going to be easier this time too, having already done the drivers side six months earlier.
Another popular item for other owners to remove from the scrap Rover 800's before we get to them is the external car door handles. The springs in these seem to stop working, we are not sure if it is the plastic handle or the springs that break, because we have never taken any apart yet to look. Finding door handles the right colour is not easy though, so it's just another thing we live with, although old stocks of new handles seem to keep popping up on ebay in various colours, so we may get lucky yet! (Or, we may have to just make our own repair on the current door handles).
Yes things go wrong and wear out, that's not because it's a Rover though, we doubt many other makes of cars would have faired any better over the years given the amount of use this car has seen.
The rubber seal on the door tends to split, and although this does not look to bad when the door is closed.....
...it becomes a little more obvious, when the door is opened!
You can see the split clearly from this side!
To replace the seal, you need to remove the window trim, to do this first unscrew the top & bottom chrome trims, then pull the window rubber out from its channel and remove the two screws that hold the trim in place.
(The top screw is in the top hole, the other hole that you see, may be empty! The second screw is lower down in a lower hole, you may have to pull the rubber out a little more just to see it clearly. But without removing the two screws this is usually how the trims get damaged).
You may have to lever the trim away slightly as it still has 2 very small grippers holding it in place, so do this very carefully.
The two small grips hold it into the larger plastic catchers in the photo. (1 catcher is missing from the photo because these sometimes come off with the trim, which is what had happened in this case. The plastic clips can be simply detached from the trim and put back into the door frame, although the small metal grips sometimes need bending slightly, back to normal.).
Now the trim has been removed you can see the location of the small plastic screw catchers that were where the two small screws were removed from earlier.
This is the old trim with the seal still attached.
The old split seal has now been removed from the old trim piece, because we will be re-using the piece of trim again.
The trim from the car in the scrappers had been damaged, because of someone else's failed attempt to remove it. We removed the decent rubber seal from it for use with our own piece of original trim. The seal was cleaned and double sided trim tape was applied to it.
The rubber seal has now been stuck on the trim ready for refitting.
After pushing the trim back onto the car and replacing the two small screws mentioned earlier, the window channel rubber was pushed back into place.
The top door window chrome strip was screwed up.
The lower door window chrome strip was screwed up.
There much better.
Not only does it look better, but it now closes better too. Long may it last!!!!