|1999 Rover 800 825 V6 Coupe with Flooded Passenger Footwells!|
Car: 1999 Rover 800 825 V6 Coupe
Colour: Zircon Silver
The video above shows (just some of) the water we sucked up after my Rover 800 coupe sprung a leak resulting in the passenger side footwell being totally flooded.
I had already removed the soaking wet carpet mats and had started to vacuum up some of the water before I decided I should video this!
The carpets were completely soaked and it was going to take at least a few days to dry out completely as the foam backing/soundproofing on the carpets holds so much of the water!
As soon as I had realised the footwell had flooded I had already guessed that this was being caused by the sunroof drainage tube overflowing due to it being blocked/slow flowing.
How did I know this? That's easy - the Driver's side Footwell had flooded a year earlier!
(The first time I had the problem, it took forever to locate where the water was actually coming from! After weeks of searching we realised it was a small drip from the front sunroof drainage tube where it comes inside the front wing just inside the footwell. The very small dripping was so hard to trace, but having found and cleaned the drivers side drainage tube, it was a problem no more.)
This time it was far easier to solve, as I already knew what would be the cause, so did not have to spend weeks checking the door/window/sunroof seals, or look behind the interior trim etc. I made this video just to show how quickly/much the car will flood if the problem is left unattended!
I dealt with the leak as soon as I had realised the car had one, and yet I still managed to suck up about 10 litres of water!
If you get the leak into the footwells the damage can be far worse on the passenger side due to the number of electrical control boxes located under the passenger seat. If these get wet or damaged, you might have the expense of replacing these items! These include the window and gearbox controls.
Watch the video to the end, as I have shown the location of where the passenger side sunroof drainage tube comes into the car through the wing and then it goes out again. It might be worth you checking if your own ones are clear or not, as they do become blocked over time, and I have heard of other owners getting the electrics fried!
If you do check/clear them, then it might be worthwhile to pull them out and just snip the end off the tube where it narrows right down, to decrease the chance of it reoccurring. Then when you pop them back, use a bit of dumdum or silicone etc, to help keep them sealed. I have made the hole at the bottom wider now on both sides of my car, as I do not ever want it to happen again.
There are also two rear drainage pipes hidden in the rear behind the trim in the boot. These are located either side of the car near the top of the shock absorbers. If these leak they may cause the boot to flood, but the front ones are the ones that are both harder to spot and harder to ignore!
If you watch the video to the end it shows the location of the sunroof front passenger side drainage tube, this is also shown in the pics below.
The front carpet mat is looking very wet!
Water pouring from the front carpet mat!
The rear passenger mat looks just as bad!
Yes, this one is soaked too!
To be able to lift the carpets, first i undid the two bolts at the front of the passenger seat.
Then, I unhooked the cable.
Then the seat was powered to its most forward position on the seat rails, and the two rear bolts were removed.
The head rest was removed as this would make it easier to take the seat out of the car.
The electric window control box and Jatco Gearbox ECU are located under the passenger seat.
First the cover was removed...
..and then the electric window control box and Jatco Gearbox ECU were removed. Luckily these had not got wet.
This is the trim located just forward of the passenger door.
The trim was removed after a bit of fiddling!
Removing the trim reveals part of the wiring room with the sunroof drainage tube located just above and with a trickle of water on it.
Sunroof drainage tube with evidence of a leak from the join.
Before the carpets could be raised, the door sill trim needed removing.
The seat belt bar also needed removing.
Lifting the carpet, you get to the rubber/foam base mat/cushioning/sound proofing.
Lift up the foam base and it was just a pool of water!
The water was vacuumed up with a wet&dry Vax, making sure none of the electrics got wet.
The sunroof drainage tube was pulled apart for removal.
The rubber end piece looks like this. I snipped the end off to make a wider opening. this was then put back in place, but this time with a bit of sealant, to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
This was 10 litres of water collected from the carpets. The foam was still holding a lot of the carpets and took several weeks before the car was dried out completely!
Finally the carpets, trims, electrics, and seats could be refitted.